Monday, May 22, 2006

In the Headwaters

I have been tentatively wading the headwaters of the mainstream. For the most part that's been Silver Age Fantastic Four, but lately I've set aside Essential Fantastic Four Vol. 2 (for the moment) in favor of Showcase Presents: Superman Vol. 1.

To be honest, when I first cracked this book, I didn't quite know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't the first thing that struck me (or bit me on the toes, because I want to push the allegory as far as it'll go and then some):


Reprinted from Action Comics #241

Now, I can't decide whether that's vaguely creepy or just romantic, but either way, I hope the room is gone. And I don't even want to think about the Jimmy Olson and Batman rooms. I'm just not *cough*brave*cough* enough for that.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

I think I'd have to go with vaguely creepy myself... At least I've never seen Batman carry trophies home in a potato sack.

Great blog btw!

Canton said...

To be fair, he's carrying pearls in there for a necklace he's making for Lois. (Or is it just one pearl and a bunch of other stuff? He only references one pearl in the next panel...) That part, at least, is kind of romantic. It's really more about the room, complete with a statue of Lois, than the potato sack trophies...

Thanks for stopping by, and glad you like! ;)

Gwen said...

Well the room is kind of scary too - I always loved the old Superman comics where he has statues of all his women - Lori, Lana and Lois.